Followers

Monday, June 26, 2006




Pictures of the small wreck we found last Friday. I know we aren't the first to find it because of the cable and broken fishing buoy, but it is fun never the less. It is a small boat with only one 3 blade prop. It appears to be about 60' long and was an island supply boat from the looks of it. Lots of small holds. This shell is lying on the starboard side of the ship which is lying on it's port side. For those of you who don't sail, that is right and left respectively. As you can probably tell, the round is still live so I suspect it was dumped overboard by the US Navy somewhere along the line. I don't think Kevin and Kim were real thrilled to pose for me that close! We had fun and used our navigation skills and proved that given enough dives, even an old fart like me can learn to use a compass in the water! LOL! Thanks Jack! The top picture in this series is the projectile of one of these (I think, 5 inch) shells. It is still in the casing so it hasn't been fired but the projectile has been eaten away by years of salt water and all that is left is the bottom half of the projectile and the impact fuse intact but with no explosive to set off. Kind of cool seeing how these thing were made!

No comments: